A long long time ago, I posted a complaint to this blog about how I had no idea what a Jira SearchContext was, and how it was very frustrating to try to figure it out.
Yesterday I realized that I had never really made any strides toward fixing my lack of knowledge around the search functionality of Jira. I’m not talking JQL, I’m talking the actual Search Service waayyy down in the guts of Jira.
I set out wanting to update the permissions for a list of filters on Jira Server, based on the name of the server. The list of filter names came from a migration we were doing from Jira Server to Jira Cloud. JCMA returned a list of the names of forty filters that were publicly accessible. My task was to go in and update those permissions. As I was going to have to repeat this process multiple times, it seemed an excellent candidate for a scripted solution.
As it turns out, it is extremely difficult to search for filters by name. You can search for filters by their ID without issue, but searching by name is essentially not possible.
My next idea was to simply wipe